Sunday, July 20, 2008

Empty Storefronts

Last year, the Oregon Legislature passed a law that limited the interest that check cashing/cash advance businesses could charge customers in Oregon. Essentially, this meant a lot of them packed up and left the state altogether (which, while I understand the short-term need, I think is a GOOD thing).

One such place was Cash Advance America on N. Lombard next to Encanto and Copy Pilot. The storefront has sat empty now for about 6 months. Every time I drove by, I thought please please don't let it be a...
- convenience store
- dive bar
- tobacco shop

Well, now I see a sign is in the window that says "Nails and Spa...Coming Soon." This isn't the totally best option possible, but it's not bad. I'm assuming it's going to be more downscale, like the Vogue Nails further down Lombard where you can get a manicure and pedicure for $40. Not like Trixies, which is more into the pampering experience. I will hope for the best - that it is clean, friendly, and attracts some good business.

(and yes, I've been gone for forever)

No comments: