Monday, February 18, 2008

Signs of Spring

I am sitting in a big picture window at Ladybug Coffee in downtown St J's, looking out over the foot & auto traffic coming and going down Lombard. I'm working on a very tedious project that is making me grumpy. But what is making me happy is the little signs of spring that are emanating here and there. Yes! Spring is coming! My 2nd favorite season in Portland (autumn is first).

1. Okay, this is a big one. It was 62 degrees yesterday! It's 57 right now! That is delightful and wonderful.

2. I can make it home at 5:30 and still take the pup for a walk before it gets pitch black. It's getting dark, but there are still tiny signs of daylight.

3. The asparagus is getting tastier at the grocery store.

4. Those little buds that are coming up everywhere in my garden. Some of them are mystery buds - what will they become? I don't know! I'm gardening-ly challenged. But it's exciting.

5. The earth smells...earthier. Like it's living again. I love that smell of spring dirt in all its loamy goodness.

Yay for Spring! Yay for more daylight hours!

4 comments:

LeLo said...

Can I just apologize for one hundred more times about my screaming dog the other day? I don't know what got into her: I swear she doesn't scream like that, and then I was just tongue tied because of it and....well, I hope we get to meet again and can have a proper conversation!!!

And YES, here's to Spring!

sarah said...

no worries, lelo. i'm sure we will meet again :) my puppy can be overwhelming to littler dogs because she's so convinced everyone wants to be her best friend RIGHT NOW!

Cheri said...

A woman after my own heart! There is nothing better than autumn in Portland; and spring is a close second! Perfect knitting weather. I just discovered your blog when I googled Tres Bone, the new pet shop in St Johns. I've already added it to my favorites!

sarah said...

thanks for visiting, cheri. i am not a knitter myself, but i do love the transition seasons.