Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Health

I've spent the last couple of weeks kind of obsessed with matters of health & nutrition & weight-control, so blogging has been off the radar. But I decided I can combine two things into one here. I've gained about 10 pounds in the past year...not a good thing. And I've been getting some crazy cravings for unhealthy food that I don't even really like, but that I see on a daily basis driving around my neighborhood.

Drive down Lombard for 1/2 mile in either direction and you have...KFC, McDonalds, Dairy Queen, Taco Bell, Domino's, Pizza Hut, Baskin Robbins, and Papa Murphy's. I'm sure I'm leaving something out. Fast food has never ever been appealing to me. On long road trips, if I HAD to stop, I'd find a Wendy's and get a salad or maybe a fish sandwich. Somehow it seemed the least unappetizing of the bunch. But I swear that there is something about seeing these signs over and over and over again to start thinking...hey, maybe some fried chicken or a quarterpounder with cheese. What??! I don't even like that stuff. Whatever.

Anyhoo. Apparently the planning meeting for the St. John's Farmer's Market was last night. I tried to go, but I had it written down as 5:30-7:30, so I showed up at Marie's and no one was there. I guess it was from 6:30-8:30. Oops! (Side note: Marie's is super, super smoky and I would not have wanted to hang out there for 2 hours, especially given that we were talking about fresh fruits & veggies. Just seems like a weird mix.)

However, I'm still going to try & get involved with the planning. A small market is just what this community needs. Lots of potential locations were brought up, but I think the plaza is the way to go. Centrally located, visible for pedestrians & car traffic going through. Someone suggested putting it right off of Fessenden, which I think would be suicide. Visibility will be much reduced at that location. Just my 2 cents.

No comments: