Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Late to the Posada

I've had a dozen posts rattling around in my head and no focused time to sit down & write them. Business trip to the East Coast, last-minute Christmas shopping, and general puppy raising time have all sucked up my energy and resources.

However, I did manage to make it to La Posada in St. John's last weekend. I didn't really know what to expect, and it was pretty cool. So... some fun and interesting things about Posada.

1. Whoever they got to do face painting did an amazing, amazing job. These were no daisies and sunshines - these were complex, detailed little works of art on dozens of kids' cheeks. Had there not been such a line (and were I not convinced that the moment I got face paint on, the grey skies would finally open up for the day and leave me looking like a very sad clown), I would have been right there among the under-12 crowd.

2. Tienda Santa Cruz makes some mean tamales.

3. Tina Kotek was there! Tina Kotek was there! Tina Kotek was there! Standing next to me! In line for food! (For those of you who don't know, Tina is our North Portland representative to the State Legislature. She is also an incredibly smart and sophisticated advocate for kids issues and health care, and I kind of have a little silent secret crush on her. If my husband can have a man-crush on Sam Adams, I am entitled to my own girl crush.

4. Woodburn High School has a mariachi band?? How cool is that! Even more cool: it has at least 3 female members. They played at the end of Posada, and it was lots of fun. How many high schools can boast their own mariachi bands? Not many, I'm guessing.

5. I heard nary a word about the clustersuck that is/was Interstate Ave./Cesar Chavez Boulevard/SW 4th ave. There were upwards of 200 people there with what seemed to be a good mix of Latino, White and African American. Peaceful and supportive - a good small step for the community.

No comments: