Friday, January 4, 2008

Out with the Old (a wee bit late)

Stolen adapted from Fleur de Lisa, a new Portland Midwest blog that I just found and love (wow...batting 0-for-2 so far):

1. What did you do in 2007 that you'd never done before?
Tried dragonboating and outriggers, and eventually joined a dragonboating team.
Got a puppy.

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for 2008?
My 2007 resolution was to have a better relationship with my mother. That was...less than successful. But I admit to not trying very hard. My 2008 resolution is to walk the 2008 Portland Marathon, and I've roped my dad into it, so I have someone to be accountable to.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Physically close to me? No, thank goodness. But one of my best friends in San Fran gave birth to a beautiful little girl named in Lindsay, and my cousin K. is the proud new mama of Daphne.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Sadly, yes. My wonderful, hilarious, generous Aunt Carolyn died after her 4th go-round with cancer. She was a nun for 40 years and taught me more about how to enjoy life than almost anyone. Also, she danced the polka at my wedding with my husband 2 1/2 years ago, so how cool is that? She is dearly, greatly missed.

5. What countries did you visit?
None but this one, I'm sad to say. Didn't even make it up to Canada.

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
A new dishwasher. Is that petty? Also, a new fondness for vegetables.

7. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Learning to live within increased financial constraints without resentment or bitterness.

8. What was your biggest failure?
See: 2007 New Year's Resolution

9. What was the best thing you bought?
Splurged on a laptop that I am currently using and loving

10. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My husband's, for accomplishing a full year back in school as a full-time student and kicking the sh!t out of all his classes.

11. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My mom's.

12. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, student loans

13. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
All the fun new stuff opening up in St. Johns and Portsmouth! LRB, Tres Bone, James John, etc...

14. Compared to this time last year, are you...
a) happier or sadder? Happier, so so much happier
b) thinner or fatter? Heavier, but a little bit fitter
c) richer or poorer? poorer, probably

15. What do you wish you'd done more of?
I wish we'd been able to take more weekend trips around the Northwest.

16. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worry

17. How did you spend Christmas?
With my husband - going to see Juno, going up to Council Crest Park to have a snowball fight and glory in the fresh snow, having a fantastic home-cooked dinner and curling up to a glass of wine, a puppy and a fat black cat

18. How did you ring in 2007?
Annual dinner party & wine tasting with friends

19. Did you fall in love in 2007?
Yes! Her name is Lucy, she is black and furry, and is 5 months old.

20. What was your favorite TV program?
Surprisingly, Battlestar Galactica

21. What was the best book you read?
New England White by Stephen Carter

22. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Anais Mitchell

23. What was your favorite film of this year?
Children of Men

24. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 31, and went to Pix for dessert with my husband

25. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Clive Owen (tie) Jon Stewart (tie) Jenna Fischer

26. Who was the best new person you met?
M, my new co-worker.

No comments: